Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 16, 2010

I'm always curious about what happened during the time of the Holocaust in World War II. I had watched some documentaries and read a lot of online posts about this topic. My engagement on this topic came back after our discussion today. I don't remember how we came to this topic, but Frau Arroyo told us about this "National Guilt" the Germans had about this issue. Due to this National Guilt, Germans became less nationalistic and they were not proud of their country. They don't even sing their national anthem. Well this issue had seriously affected the Germans. I knew that what happened was a great horror, I can't even imagine that it really happened, that people do actually experienced those things. But it was a long time ago, and the Germans living today don't have anything to do with what happened in the past. But again, I can't blame them from being guilty of what happened. It's just sad that the guilt they had affected their attitude towards their country. Being a Filipino, I was raised to be proud of my country, so I really don't know why they were not proud of being a citizen of the country they were born into.

It's just now that I realized how serious Germans take this issue. I promise not to joke about this, or even to mention it in front of a German. It's something I don't know, something I don't want to know further.

No comments:

Post a Comment